Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Strange green outflows?

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In ARG0000vqg there are a couple of strange galaxies, close to what might be the host of the two radio source in the center. They are zph 0.398±0.054 SDSS J160241.47+445125.1 (left), and zph 0.368±0.063 SDSS J160240.72+445112.1 (right):

enter image description here enter image description here

Perhaps they're disturbed spirals, in a long-distance interaction/merger?

I don't think either is the host of the radio emission in this field, but whether there is any physical connection between either galaxy and the host (of the radio emission) I do not know (and don't care to speculate).

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to JeanTate's comment.

Do you think we should start a thread on green outflows?

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Don't we already have one?

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

Just did a search and I couldn't find one.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

I meant our Green thread

Posted

• ChrisMolloy by ChrisMolloy in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

We could use the green thread, but is it strictly applicable? Host may not be green and the green outflow could be a separate galaxy.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Objects in the Green galaxies associated with RGZ sources thread are a pretty heterogeneous lot, and some there are already what I'd consider to be green outflows. I mean there are dull green, lime-green, galaxies with green 'halos' (green around the edges only), with extended green tails (not really like an outflow), ... And I don't think every field tagged #green is included in that thread (I could be wrong).

It would certainly be an interesting, if somewhat tedious, task to try to put them all into a set of neat sub-classes; and it is likely not possible to make such a classification that assigns every galaxy to just one class.

In any case, while Search in RGZ Talk is not reliable, I think hashtags work well, so giving galaxies which seem to have a green outflow a hashtag of #greenoutflow (or similar) would 'collect' them well.

Posted

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

I think that there is a thread for red outflows so perhaps start one for green outflows and link back to all the previous instances of green outflows? Note that these "green outflows" are related to the Voorwerpjes found by the original Galaxy Zooites so many of these things are connected. But such is the rabbit warren that is science 😃

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

In the NE corner of ARG0001kbc the #compact has as host zsp 0.253 SDSS J111007.52+324820.0, which has an obvious #green #outflow:

enter image description here

Posted