Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Newb

• dave_gillingham by dave_gillingham

I am completely new to this and to be quite frank not really sure of the "geometry" - for want of a better term, of what I am looking at.

That said, I'm wondering if the radio waves for the two contours along the NE/SW direction (with North taken as up) might not be associated with the IR object at the NE contour and the two at the ends of the NW/SE direction with the larger IR object between them.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to dave_gillingham's comment.

Welcome to Radio Galaxy Zoo, dave_gillingham!

This is a very cool image!

As you note, the NE/SW (top-left to center to bottom-right) line of sources comes, very likely, from the object in the center; this is a "triple" (we often use hashtags, so #triple).

The other source - the one which is actually in the center of the image - is, very likely, on its own. And it's essentially just a blob, the same as a "point source". So we call this a #compact.

Deciding which IR object is associated with the two sources is somewhat of a challenge. Why? Because when you look at this in SDSS (click on the link), you'll see that the two brightest objects (and the ones you'd most likely say are the sources) are stars:

enter image description here

If the two stars are indeed the hosts of the radio emission, then they are very, very unusual! 😮

Hope this helps, and happy hunting! 😃

Posted