Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Gemini proposal submitted

• KWillett by KWillett scientist, admin, translator

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd give a quick update on an observing proposal we've just submitted, enabled by the RGZ observations. We've submitted a paper already on the hybrid galaxies (#hymors) in RGZ, which is being led by Anna Kapinska (@akapinska). Your data helped us identify a number of new candidates, effectively doubling the previous sample, and come up with a new classification system to robustly identify a hymor. We're in the middle of iterating with the referee on the manuscript right now.

However, we've also just submitted a proposal to the Gemini telescope to observe the host galaxies of the new hymors. Less than half of the hymors have high-resolution spectroscopy of the host galaxies. We need that in order to measure most of the properties that we're interested in quantifying; the most important is getting an accurate redshift (distance), but we also want to know how the mass of the black hole, its accretion rate, stellar mass, and other parameters compare to Type 1 or Type 2 radio jets. We asked for time to observe 10 objects in optical and near-IR spectroscopy, which would take about 4-5 nights if we get it. We'll hear in December - fingers crossed!

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

good luck, i wish your proposal was chosen!

Posted

• csunjoto by csunjoto

Finger crossed. Thanks Kyle

Posted