Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Status of RGZ

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

23 November 2015 - we have reached 1,393,605 classifications and sit at 46% complete. Well done everyone!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to 42jkb's comment.

Cool! 😃

That includes both FIRST/WISE and ATLAS/SWIRE, right?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

Yes both sets of data. Although ATLAS/SWIRE should be nearly complete as there are just over 2000 radio sources in that data set.

Posted

Happy New Year everyone! Quick update for you:

1,454,521 classifications
    48% complete

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Based on various blog posts and RGZ Talk posts, I estimate that RGZ won't reach completion until ~October, 2018. 😦

I assumed that we have, as of 18 April, completed 1.6 million of a target of 3 million, and are currently classifying at a rate of 1,500 per day.

Here's the data, in two forms (N is in millions):

Date       N    %  source
    19 Dec 13 0     0  GZ blog post
    18 Jun 14 0.30     RGZ Talk post
    22 Nov 14 0.90  27 Daily Zooniverse
    17 Jan 15 1.00     GZ blog post
    09 Sep 15 n/a   43 RGZ Talk posts
    23 Nov 15 1.39  46 RGZ Talk post
    18 Dec 15 1.42     GZ blog post
    03 Jan 16 1.45  48 RGZ Talk post
    18 Apr 16 1.60  57 GZ blog post

Date ........ N .... % source

19 Dec 13 0 .... 0 . GZ blog post

18 Jun 14 0.30 .... RGZ Talk post

22 Nov 14 0.90 27 Daily Zooniverse

17 Jan 15 1.00 .... GZ blog post

09 Sep 15 n/a 43 RGZ Talk posts

23 Nov 15 1.39 46 RGZ Talk post

18 Dec 15 1.42 GZ blog post

03 Jan 16 1.45 48 RGZ Talk post

18 Apr 16 1.60 57 GZ blog post

In the 5 month period ~Jun-Nov 2014, the daily rate of classifications was, on average, ~twice what it is now (~3,800 vs ~1,400). If we could "lift our game" to that level, we'd finish by ~May, 2017. 😃

What can we do? Here are some ideas (roles from the RGZ Team page):

• get our Project Engagement Officer much more engaged
    • bring back DZM, as RGZ Promotion Officer (no, that's not an RGZ Team role! 😄)
    • tap the talents of our three Education Team members
    • invite Science Team member Karen Masters to advise on what she and the VOLCROWE team have learned (see this ZT thread)
    • promote our Chinese website among our Chinese-speaking members

What do you think?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

Yes, these are all great ideas. I will put the forward to the team. Thanks, JeanTate!

Posted

• Tim_F by Tim_F scientist

Fantastic ideas JeanTate!

I'm wondering if you, and other RGZ citizen scientists, have any ideas on how our users can personally be involved in expanding and maintaining that higher classification level?

From experience, recommendations from friends and family have a higher impact upon uptake of involvement in activities, so maybe a similar experience will be felt in this case. Have you JeanTate, and all users, had any experience with discussing RGZ and Zooniverse projects with friends, family members and colleagues? Is there anything the RGZ team could do to support you in having more positive experiences?

I can't wait to hear more great ideas for how we can work together as a community to build RGZ into an even better project!

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre

First, sorry for my english, is hard to me to express some ideas and abstract thoughts...

Of course I think that RGZ is more funny that other projects because there are a lot of things to search (giants, sDRAGN...). Anyway, to be part of RGZ is amazing, and to help to the scientifics is enough motivation for spend my time. But I think that is essential the feedback of scientifics or at least people involved with them. Is very important for me to see that they have some interest in the project, and to know that what I'm doing is useful, even only a little. I think that with more feedback, more volunteers work in a project. Of course all the feedback that superzoonites like @JeanTate and @Dolorous_Edd is very valuable, but if there aren't sciencist the project seems "dead" and their interest in our work as volunteers is the best reward.

In other hand I love the challenges that Zooniverse propose sometimes, they make me participate in projects that usually I don't visit, and I see that these challenges have good results, may be it's time for a RGZ challenge?

Thinking about this, I belive that challenges are successful because it's a way to make little goals for a big project. May be that to make 2 or 3 little goals in a year seems more funny and achievable for people that 1 only great goal for a few years.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

. But I think that is essential the feedback of scientifics or at least people involved with them. Is very important for me to see that they have some interest in the project, and to know that what I'm doing is useful, even only a little.

I will second that

Also this page: http://rgzauthors.galaxyzoo.org/

is it accessible through the main page? And right now it contains only nicknames, but some users fill in their real names why not use them instead?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to sisifolibre's comment.

Thanks for this @sisifolibre. Can you explain to me what a challenge is? Do you have any suggestions for one?

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to Dolorous_Edd's comment.

I think the issue with using real names is one of ethics. If citizen scientists want their full names on the list, then I can do that. With over 9000 volunteers in RGZ it comes down to a logistics problem with collating all that information. So I will leave this to the citizen scientists to provide their real name on a volunteer basis. Best place for them to enter their name...not too sure yet. Maybe the link you mention with a box to fill out. Sorry, just thinking out loud here.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Sorry, just thinking out loud here.

No worries, I am just recalling how it was on PH

Posted

• sisifolibre by sisifolibre in response to 42jkb's comment.

Can you explain to me what a challenge is? Do you have any suggestions for one?

I'm speaking about that:

https://www.zooniverse.org/talk/14/2767

https://www.zooniverse.org/talk/14/11685

Recently Bat Detective had another, but I can't find a thread now.

Sometimes I find in my mail messages from zooniverse that say something like:
    British Science Week 2016 is upon us, and again we need your help to complete a grand challenge. This year we are featuring the Bat Detective project, and we want to classify 100,000 recordings of potential bat calls by the end of next week.

I can see that the zooniverse comunity love this kind of things... may be again because it's another way in that scientifics interact with volunteers, and because is a way to make little goals more near to the people.

A challenge for RGZ can be for example to make 100k (or 200k) classifications for a week. I think that can be important that the challenge have some kind of goal or important date, for example an astronomical convention or similar where a scientific from RGZ it's going to be present like that: Conferencing in Italy.

In my opinion, this challenges not only raise the classification number for a while, also can do that some volunteers give more publicity to the project between people who don't know zooniverse, and some come more often to participate. May be a good idea to see how is the participation in these projects that have had a challenge some months after it.

Posted

UPDATE: The ATLAS radio source are now complete. Thank you to everyone for your work in classifying these sources.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to sisifolibre's comment.

A challenge is a great idea. I'll look into this and see what we can do.

Anyone have a suggestion for a RGZ challenge?

Posted

• Tim_F by Tim_F scientist

I definitely love the idea of a challenge! 42jkb and I will hopefully throw some ideas around soon about a challenge or two.

Does any one have any suggestions for a RGZ challenge that will start the brainstorming ball rolling?

Posted