Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

RGZ Data for Science Communication Student Project

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin

I have a 3rd yr undergraduate student who will be working with me from Feb - May 2016 on RGZ. His background is in Science Communication and is seeking experience working with citizen science data. He would like to investigate the participation and trends of volunteers after a Twitter, Facebook, blog, newsletter posts, and press releases. He wants to know the best form of communication and participation for RGZ and other citizen science projects.

We would like your input on this project. Thoughts? Ideas? What would you like to see come out of this project?

Answer here or send me an email if you would prefer private communication.

Thanks,
    Julie

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Happy to help/contribute! 😃

I'm not sure exactly what he is aiming to do/achieve; is there a formal statement of aims for this project? Or is it still at the 'trying to nail down the aims/objectives/methods' stage?

IMHO, "the best form of communication and participation for RGZ and other citizen science projects" is far too broad. Citizen science projects include both the online RGZ-type, and get-your-hands-dirty environmental 'direct experience' projects (anything from taking samples, to taking photographs, to bird watching, to ...). And no doubt a great deal in between.

Posted

• 42jkb by 42jkb scientist, admin in response to JeanTate's comment.

I'm still in the process of thinking this through. The main goal is to figure out what avenue of social media works for RGZ and what doesn't. We DO NOT have access to any personal information on the volunteers. We are only looking at how the number of classifications and volunteers change after a social media post.

Posted