Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

Newly accepted: RGZ's first foray into the land of machine learning

• ivywong by ivywong scientist, admin

Read all about Vesna Lukic's study here:
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.04861

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ivywong's comment.

Cool! 😃

I found this part particularly interesting:

Data Release 1 of the Radio Galaxy Zoo (DR1; Wong et al. in preparation) was made with the purpose of obtaining citizen-scientists input in identifying which components belonged together in a source. [...] DR1 consists of 74627 sources where user weightings have been applied to the consensus levels, retaining the sources which have a consensus level of 0.65 or higher. The minimum reliability of DR1 is 75% for a minimum weighted consensus level of 0.65
    for the classifications of the FIRST survey. Using the dataset for the four-class problem consisting of 21933 images, there are 10722 (14.4%) images in common with the DR1 dataset, where the matching is done based on the source name. After removing the sources that contained invalid entries in the ‘matchComponents’ and ‘WISECATmismatch’ columns, there were 9537 remaining (12.8%).

Very much looking forward to DR1! 😄

Posted

My apologies @JeanTate for my slowness. 😦 Hopefully we are mostly bug-free now after the last regeneration.

Posted

No worries! 😃

I did find it interesting that a third party could get an "advance peek" at at least some version of DR1; I've seen this sort of thing in many a paper, but it is interesting to see how it works when one is involved in the project as close as we "frequent flier" volunteers are.

Posted

Hi Jean,
    Just a clarification, Vesna and Marcus are very much part of the RGZ-ML team and are not third party. All the teams are helping. In fact, several bugs in the pipeline were found from some of these RGZ-ML teams. We are a large collaboration that is constantly evolving but ultimately working towards the same goal in a collaborative environment.
    Ivy

Posted

Cool! 😄

The RGZ "Team" page does not mention either Vesna or Marcus; maybe an update of the page would be worthwhile?

Posted

Hi Jean,
    Thanks for your suggestion as always. We now have nearly 50 team members internationally and it might read a little like a phone directory if we updated the list every month for the ones who retired and the new ones who have joined.
    cheers,
    Ivy

Posted