Radio Galaxy Zoo Talk

New GZ Blog post: Happy 5th birthday Radio Galaxy Zoo!

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Happy 5th birthday Radio Galaxy Zoo! (sorry, no links):

Happy 5th birthday to Radio Galaxy Zoo!

We have now completed 84% of the project and reached 2.24 million classifications (the equivalent of ~90.2 years of work) thanks to all the hard work from our Radio Galaxy Zooites. So much has happened in the world of Radio Galaxy Zoo this year and many of the new scientific results we reported cannot have happened without your help.

In 2018, we had 4 papers accepted for publication in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, doubling the number of papers that Radio Galaxy Zoo previously published. In addition, we have three more Radio Galaxy Zoo papers that have been submitted this year and are currently undergoing the refereeing process.

As always, our science papers can be freely-accessed and so I encourage you all to check out the following papers if you are interested. Here is the list of papers published this year:

1. Radio Galaxy Zoo: compact and extended radio source classification with deep learning by Vesna Lukic et al
    2. Radio Galaxy Zoo: machine learning for radio source host galaxy cross-identification by Matthew Alger et al
    3. Radio Galaxy Zoo: CLARAN – a deep learning classifier for radio morphologies by Chen Wu et al
    4. Radio Galaxy Zoo: observational evidence for environment as the cause of radio source asymmetry by Payton Rodman et al

As we summarise the main events this year, it would be remiss of me to not mention the retirement of our previous co-Primary Investigator (co-PI) as well as original driver of this project, Dr Julie Banfield, without whom Radio Galaxy Zoo wouldn’t be where it is today. We continue to be very grateful for her hard work and support. Finally, I would like to thank Dr Stas Shabala for agreeing to be a co-PI on this project after Julie’s departure for greener pastures.

Thank you all very much again for all your help and we shall continue to report on the science that is made possible thanks to you all. Keep up the awesome work! We hope that you all have a happy end-of-2018 and an excellent 2019.

Cheers,
    Ivy & Stas

Posted